Tuesday, September 18, 2012

It’s Officially an 'O' bsession! The big 'O' in India Part 2

A few days ago a good friend of mine Sahil (Handsome chap by the way, ladies if you're interested you know who to call) from work told me about Maruti launching a new car, which would rival the Tata Nano. If I'm not mistaken, I think this new car is a replacement for the iconic Maruti 800 and beautifully priced in the range of 1.5 - 2 lac, with mileage of about 20-25 kmpl. It got me really excited because my damn car (Ford Fusion) gives me about 7-8 kmpl, and I have been looking at buying a 2nd car to commute to and from work, until he told me the name of
the car - ‘Cervo’. I was like really? Another ‘O’ car? 


(For those of you who might be wondering what an ‘O’ car is, can read my previous blog 'The Big 'O' in India')


So I decided to do a little research and see for myself if ‘O’ is an obsession or just coincidence. Here’s what I found, a list of cars names that end with an 'O' to be released in India 2012.
  • Mahindar Quanto
  • Maruti Cervo
  • Ford Mondeo
  • Mahindra Ssangyong Korando
  • Fiat Punto Evo
  • Fiat Viaggio
  • Skoda Citigo
  • Renault Clio
  • Chevrolet Orlando

(These are just 2012, research further at your own risk)


What’s with our obsession with ‘O’? Where is all this 'O' cumming from? (hahaha another sick joke, and I apologize yet again) Are we not getting enough of the ‘O’ or are we getting too much of it that it has to come everywhere? (After all we did invent the kama sutra) Or is it because we invented the number 0 (Zero) and because of its uncanny resemblance the letter ‘O’, we feel like we own it and have to put it everywhere? (Like they always say “if ya got it, flaunt it”). Why? WHY? 


Now that we’re on the subject of branding, one branding that pissed me off then and still does today is the Hero Honda (Now Hero MotoCorp) ‘Hunk’. WTF ‘Hunk’! Seriously Mr. Munjal ‘Hunk’? Nothing better came out, you had no other options? 


When it was released in 2007 it was one of the best looking bikes hands down. I would have definitely bought it, but I could not, bear the thought of me sitting on a bike called Hunk and be fresh with the ladies. I’d score a zero from the first impression. It’s the kind of Bike Reggie from Archies would buy. I seriously think it was made and branded for people like him. I mean if you're really full of yourself, carry a comb on you back pocket 24/7, and fix your hair every time you see a reflection of yourself, this is the bike for you. As Russel Peters would say “Take it and go”!





But then I guess you could also score some pretty slick lines to pick up chicks, “hey gorgeous, wanna ride this hunk all night long” (with the pun intended look)… well it could work, just don’t take my word for it.


Anyway getting back to the 'O'*, can anybody explain why? I would seriously like to know.


* Still wondering what the big 'O' means? Well let me educate your ignorant ass, it means "Orgasm".

No comments: